Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Insurance Information

Click here for a PDF copy of the following information

Every student at Elms College and those who wish to participate in intercollegiate athletics must have insurance.  A student athlete can be insured through a parent and/or guardian’s insurance or it can be purchased through Elms College.  As of August 2011, the NCAA requires a student athlete’s insurance to cover an athletic injury up to $90,000.

Elms College Athletic Department does have a secondary insurance policy that covers all student athletes in the event that a parent’s insurance does not cover athletic injuries up to the $90,000.  The secondary insurance policy has a deductible of $500.  In most cases the deductible is met through the primary insurance if the insurance is through a parent/guardian.  IF A STUDENT PURCHASES THE ELMS COLLEGE INSURANCE AS THEIR PRIMARY INSURANCE, THE DEDUCTIBLE MUST BE PAID “OUT-OF-POCKET” before a claim can be submitted to the athletic carrier.

Please note that the NCAA’s Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program covers student athletes who are catastrophically injured while participating in a covered intercollegiate athletic activity (subject to all policy terms and conditions).  The policy has a $90,000 deductible and is supplemental coverage in the event of a catastrophic injury.  Click here for more information on this program.  

How to File a Sports Injury Claim with CHP (Consolidated Health Plans)

Obtain a Sports Claim Form from the athletic trainer or online at

  • Complete ALL of the information on the claim form. KEEP A COPY OF YOUR COMPLETED CLAIM FORM FOR YOUR RECORDS.
  • The student athlete as well as the Athletic Director or Trainer must sign the form.

  • Send the signed completed claim form, within 20 days from the date of injury or as soon as reasonably possible, to:

Consolidated Health Plans
2077 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

  • Treatment for your injury must begin within 60 days (or as specifically stated in the policy) from the date of injury. If you receive care for your injury, try to obtain a copy of your itemized medical or dental bill(s) from your provider. KEEP A COPY OF THE ITEMIZED BILL FOR YOUR RECORDS. The bill(s) must include:
  • Provider’s name and address;
  • Provider’s Tax ID Number;
  • Diagnosis;
  • Date of service;
  • Types of service or procedure;
  • Provider charges for each procedure.
  • CHP sports coverage pays for covered expenses if they are in excess of other valid and collectible insurance. If you are covered under other insurance, YOU MUST FIRST SUBMIT YOUR MEDICAL OR DENTAL BILLS TO YOUR PRIMARY INSURANCE COMPANY FOR PAYMENT before CHP can determine payment.

  • Once your primary insurance has paid or rejected your claim, you will receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) statement with their coverage determination. KEEP A COPY OF THE EOB FOR YOUR RECORDS.

  • Send a copy of the itemized bill and EOB to CHP.

  • Please do not submit balance due, balance forward or past due statements for payment. Sending in these types of statements will only delay payment. Only an itemized bill from you or your provider will be acceptable for payment. It is your responsibility to provide all of the necessary information so that your claim can be quickly processed.

Click here for a printable version